Friday, September 17, 2010

An Introduction

Greetings and salutations,

My name is Adam, and I am going to be a SAHD and I'm proud of it! I have been blessed with a beautiful wife who is more than capable of single-handedly supporting the financial aspect of our life together, leaving me with the opportunity to stay home with the child she is currently busy growing (she is 31 weeks pregnant, due November 21st).

Our lives have not always been on such a clear course, however.

My professional life has always been a struggle to wake up, spending the majority of my life at a place I dislike, doing things that I despise, for a paycheck that doesn't truly reflect my value as an individual. This has lead to long bouts of depression and anxiety, as well as unemployment and disappointment. Thankfully, I feel like I have finally found my calling in life: to be a full-time parent.

Since my wife and I jointly made the decision that I would stay home with our littlest addition, I have been happy, productive and generally more fun to be around. Instead of staying up until the wee hours of the morning, and sleeping for as long as possible, I find myself in bed during "regular" hours, waking in the morning, and getting a ton of things accomplished each day. This is a major change from the reluctant, nearly useless husband I was before.

I have always been in love with my wife, and have always been extremely grateful for what I have in my life. The struggle has always been to find my purpose. And while struggling to find it, living with me wasn't easy. I was grumpy, non-communicative, and didn't help out much around the house. Our marriage went through difficult times, times when it seemed like the only possible resolution was dissolution.

We worked through our (my) issues, however, and life turned around. I took control of what I wanted to do, or thought I wanted to do, and my self-esteem came back to a point where I felt valuable again. Some time afterwards, we decided to start our family.

So before you get to thinking that this is a "save-a-marriage" baby (which some people who don't know us have called it), let me reassure you that we saved our marriage long before we chose to bring a child into our lives.

Also in our lives is my son from a previous relationship, who will be 11 and a half years old when our daughter is born. He has been a blessing in every aspect of the word. He has been my rock, my source of strength, that even in my darkest times I have always been able to look to him and say, "This is why I am here. This is why I must keep moving forward." My wife and my son have together provided me with the strength to pull my act together and become the man I am today. A man, that I am proud to say, who is worthy of respect.

There is more to my story, however, as there is to everyone's stories; a life cannot be summed in a few paragraphs. The rest of the story will come out in time, as the relevant pieces get put into the stories of life as a SAHD. The goal of this blog is to share with friends and family about my experiences as a full-time father, the struggles and joys, trials and tribulations, fun and excitement.

I am eager to meet the little person my wife is carrying, and I am excited to share our lives with you.

Thanks for reading,
-A

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to have found your blog! My husband is also a stay at home dad to our eight month old son. It has been a challenge for him, but oh so rewarding. It has been beautiful to see this great bond grow between father and son - I've never seen such a loving relationship in my life. Sadly, he feels sort of like an island out here because we don't know any other stay at home dads, but I'll be sure to tell him about your blog. Best of luck!

    Jenn
    www.monkeybuttjunction.com

    ReplyDelete