Monday, September 20, 2010

Community

A few days ago, I joined a baby-related message board, where I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person with male junk. First, I just have to get out a quick "Thank you" for making me feel so welcome in your world.

Earlier this evening, a woman posted that she had to go to the hospital, due to complications with her pregnancy.

The outpouring of unconditional love, support and prayers was one of the most moving commentaries on our society that I have ever seen or even heard of. These women, who can have as little in common as just being the same gender, were in tears for their fellow-in-arms, calling out with passionate vigor that by sheer force of their will alone, everything will be okay.

On a message board that considers 250 views and 20 replies on a single topic to be worthy of being flagged for popularity, this one post managed (in just a few hours) to accumulate well over 1,000 views, and over 100 replies. Every reply was a note of love and support.

As I sat here, refreshing every minute hoping for the "all-clear" update, I watched the community band together under a single cause. These disparate women, from all walks of life, from all over the country, many of whom don't get along, they all stood as one.

It is truly humbling to see. As a man, I can never understand exactly what feelings this situation evokes for a mother, or someone hoping to become a mother, but one doesn't need a gender to know... to see... to feel the unequivocal love that humanity is capable of. This glimpse into the greatest heights of human passion is inspiring.

Truly, I feel blessed to have been welcomed into a community that is capable of this on such a large scale.

TW, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment