Friday, September 17, 2010

Gender Divisions

Since the decision to have me stay at home full-time with our soon-to-exist-in-this-world infant, I've been exploring things that generally seem to be off-limits to people of the gentlemanly persuasion.

For example, laundry. I can do it. Sort the darks, colors, whites, adjust the settings on the washing machine, use the right detergent or spot-treatments, pull out the delicates, etc. I still don't like folding clothes (my wife is much neater about it).

Another thing I've found out: if I know where the cleaning supplies are, I know how to use them. Toilet bowl stuff, Pledge, dishwasher detergent, etc. I may not be as on-the-ball about keeping everything spotless, but I'm getting there.

In the spirit of learning about things which are traditionally viewed as "women's work," I've decided that if I'm going in for a foot, I should go in for a mile. Which means that I've learned how to use our sewing machine. Of course, the first thing I made was for me to wear as part of my Renaissance costume, but when we originally purchased the fabric and pattern for it a year ago, it was with the assumption that my wife would be the one to make it. Of course, after I finished I drew up a pattern for a minimalist belt pouch, cut it out, sewed it up, and loved it.

Next up, I think I'd like to learn to crochet. You see, I really enjoy making things. Even if it's just putting together a bookshelf from IKEA, if I am building something from individual components, I am in my happy place. Putting together the crib, glider, two bookshelves, a dresser, and the stroller kept me in my happy place for nearly a week. So if I can learn more about creating, rather than just building, not only will these little side projects help keep me sane, but I'll also have something unique(ish) to show for my efforts.

I'm positive that there are other "women's" things out there that I might enjoy, now that I'm breaking down as many gender divisions as I can. If you can think of something I'd like, by all means, share it with me! I'm not afraid to get "girly" about it!

-A

1 comment:

  1. I know you don't have a LO at home yet, but I was surprised at how much fun I had making baby food. It was incredibly easy and I found I had time to make a batch and throw it in the freezer even though I'm not a stay at home parent.

    I'm enjoying the blog, keep it up!
    -Armandos_girl

    ReplyDelete