Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Alien Baby

So for the past few weeks, my wife has repeatedly looked at me with wide eyes and a shocked expression. Inevitably, "She's doing it again. She's being Alien Baby."

Apparently, Alien Baby is doing more than throwing out jabs and front kicks. She's stretching. Imagine the stretchy rubber sheets they used to use in 80s and early 90s music videos, and "B" horror movies. Now press two hands against that sheet and press outwards. Now spread your hands slowly, and plant your face in the space between, while wearing a sh*t-eating grin. Yep, that's my kid making faces on her mom's stomach.

She doesn't do it often, or with any sort of regularity... maybe once a day, or every other day, at least as far as I'm informed... so I've missed the displays. Until tonight.

My wife came home from work, and as we regularly do, we crawled into bed for a half hour of decompression: she tells me about her day, I tell her about mine, we both cuddle/play with the dogs, and I usually rest my hand on her stomach and give her and Alien Baby some Reiki. Today, it was decided by the Powers That Are-Almost that I would be gifted with the experience of feeling these unique and sometimes extraordinarily weird movements.

It was amazing. Truly, epically strange and wonderful, wrapped into one tiny little stretch. Now, this obviously wasn't the first time I've felt her moving and playing (she really likes Reiki), but this was so drastically different from what I've felt that I knew my eyes had opened wide and I put on a shocked expression.

I should get used to this expression, I think, because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be wearing it for a long time.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment